Thursday, September 27, 2007

Fiji Continues



Well it doesn't look like I'll be able to upload any pictures here unfortunately. I don't really have as many as I should as I got filled my camera with salt water the other day. It's finished.




I just got back to the mainland after spending 7 days and 6 nights out on the Yasawa Islands just north west of the main island. To sum it up it was beaches and blue water as far as the eye could see. Incredible! Athough after a while sitting in a hammock and reading gets a little old surprisingly. To get out there you take this monster Catamaran (below). I took it 4 hours right to the top of the islands a couple hours after getting off the plane and was on the beach by dinner. The places to stay in the islands are all small and pretty basic but the people are usually really nice and there are tons of other backpackers from all over but the majority from England. I hopped to 4 different resorts over the 7 days and booked some solid hammock time. At the places there are optional activities you can do like a village visit, go to church on sunday, snorkelling, fishing, etc. The highlight of these was a couple days ago driving in a boat 20 minutes out to sea to a reef then snorkelling along the edge with up to 5 reef sharks! so amazing. The locals that were with shot some fish with a harpoon gun and then fed them . wow. 20 Fijian dollars well spent. I've met alot of people and keep seeing different people at different places. I've been sort of travelling with some English people as we have basically the same schedule so we just book at the same place. It's been really good. As beautiful as Fiji is though I am anxious to get to Oz. So a couple more days here to sit around the pool at the hostels then the promised land. I'll put up some pictures as soon as i can.


5 comments:

Aaron Paas said...

sounds awesome rob... wish i could see it in person. I am also happy to see which was the first book read... you'll be pleased to know that I am still on page 4.

j.groen said...

that's too bad about the camera. It's going to be like you were never even there.

Ian said...

sounds amazing rob. what's the story with your camera?? are you planning to get a replacement?

Rob Nelson said...

ya, a replacement will be purchased most likely in the next couple of days. the memory card is fine though thankfully. Damn salt water.

Andrew Alan Phillips said...

yeah i really could not handle a pictureless blog...so do you have a a bunch of books you plan to finish over the trip? and is that the tally on the right? and are you racing aaron?
oh and there is definitley nothing wrong with some solid hammock time.